Planning a City Break for my Mother

Hello Wonderful People!

My mama will be celebrating the big 5-0 in November (I'm sure she'll hate the fact I'm broadcasting this fact, sorry mum) and she's asked if I could research a European city break for her and her partner to go on. As I'm a complete travel addict, researching travel is like second nature and I'm always on the lookout for a great holiday deal. I really should have picked a career as a travel agent, so I'd actually get paid to do this!


My darling mama has provided me with some top criteria that she requires before  I choose a destination for her; it has to be good value, somewhere she hasn't visited before and has lots of history and culture. Based on these, and my own experiences of European destinations, I've come up with a list of 3 possible destinations for her to choose from.

Budapest
Budapest has a lot to offer new travellers, plus it's pretty cheap compared to the UK, making it an ideal location for a short city break. If you can find cheap flights, then the rest of the trip can easily be done on a budget. Thanks to the exchange rate you can get so much for your money in Budapest, making food, drink and even accommodation noticeably cheaper. The city is full of history, culture and amazing architecture; so there is always something interesting to see and do. I know she loves history, so she'd have to check out the museums documenting the regime of terror Hungary experienced behind the Iron Curtain. Crossing the river to view the magnificent parliament building is also a must see when in Budapest. After exploring the city, she can head to the magnificent outdoor baths, where relaxation is the top priority and is a great way to spend a lazy afternoon. The city also has a great cafe culture, so grabbing a coffee or hot chocolate in one of the decadent cafes is the perfect excuse to slip in a bit of culture. Hungary's capital city ticks all the boxes for mum's weekend away, and I loved my trip there, so it's a top contender. 



Krakow
Krakow, like Budapest, is another great Eastern European city for quick and cheap city break. There's loads to see and do, it's also good value compared to the UK and the city is full of history and culture. I've been to Krakow twice before and know how much my mum would enjoy visiting the city. The main square in the city centre is a great place to start exploring the city, grab a bite to eat or have a beer and watch the world go by. Visiting Auschwitz is something, I believe, everyone should do once in their lives and it's only a short drive outside of the city. This is something I would 100% recommend my mum to do, as the place is completely indescribable and something you really have to witness for yourself. There is also an incredible salt mine on the outskirts of Krakow, that is easily accessible via several tour companies, and it is really spectacular. Accommodation, food and drink is also really cheap in Krakow, especially compared to UK prices. So if mama can find cheap flights, Krakow would also be a great city to head to for her birthday weekend.



Amsterdam
Unlike the first 2 cities, Amsterdam isn't the cheapest city in Europe, in fact it can be pretty pricey. BUT, it's such a cool place, with tons of culture and things to do, that I have to include it in my suggestions list. Amsterdam, in my humble opinion, is a super cute-looking city. Jumping on a canal boat to tour the waterways is a great way to see the city and get to explore it from a different point of view. Going for a tour of Anne Frank's house is something I know my mum would love to do and find super interesting as it was the highlight of my trip when I went to Amsterdam. I'd alway been fascinated with Anne Frank's diary as a child, so to see where she actually lived during the war was a moving experience. The cafe culture in Amsterdam is also popular, and it's a great way to spend an afternoon. Or if something more energetic is in order, hiring a bike and cycling round the city is another great way to explore and spend the day. This option is slightly more expensive than the other 2, but there's so much to do in the Dutch capital, that it makes it worth spending the extra dollar.

If I had my way (and was super rich) I treat her to a weekend in each place. Sadly, this isn't an option (until I make my millions), so she'll have to choose from these 3 options and decide where she wants to celebrate the big 5-0!


Comments

  1. For Amsterdam especially the Anne Frank House there are long waiting lines. So make sure you purchase your entrance ticket before or go really early in the morning.
    a dutch girl

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why I'd Love to Ski in Canada & Why You Should Start Planning a Trip There Now

The Best and Worst Countries to Eat as a Veggie

Top 5 Places I Want to Revisit