Skiing in Les Gets

Bonjour Gens Merveilleux
 
I'm not quite sure that I want to write this post, as I'm suffering from the worst holiday blues I think I've ever had. On Saturday I returned from the most awesome week skiing in Les Gets, France and it was possibly the best holiday I've had. Bar travelling, obvs. I haven't been skiing in 3 years, apart from one day in New Zealand, so I was very rusty. However, I was looking forward to a week in the snow, and the holiday completely smashed all expectations.

Les Gets
 
The weather on the first day was possibly the worst weather I've ever had while skiing. There was torrential rain all day and everyone discovered that their ski gear wasn't quite as waterproof as expected. However, the snow was amazing with so much powder! So despite the rain, the skiing was amazing. We hired our skis from a ski rental shop directly opposite the main lift and they were really good quality and cost around £85 for the week. Plus, we could keep our skis and boots there over night, so there was no lugging them to and from our chalet every day. Which is ideal when you're as lazy as me.


Skiing in Les Gets
  
Despite the initial rubbish weather on the first day, we were pretty lucky for the rest of the week. There were a few days where it was slightly cloudy and icy (booo), but the rest of the time we had clear blue skies with sunshine. By the end of the second day we had pretty much covered all the slopes in Les Gets, so decided to head to Morzine on the third day. For the rest of the week we tended to split our days between the two resorts, for a bit of variety. Our ski pass cost £119 and covered both resorts for 6 days, which is pretty good value.
 

 
 
 

Les Gets isn't the biggest, or most lively resort in the world, so there wasn't much of an Après or nightlife scene. There were a few bars and pubs in the resort that opened till 2am and there was one club that opened till 5am. However, when you've been to La Folie Douce for après, nothing can compare. As we had our own chalet, we would normally have a few drinks once we came off the slopes, head to the supermarket to grab food for tea then jump on the free bus back to the chalet.

 
To keep costs down, like the budget skiers we are, we cooked big group meals in the chalet then had big pre drinks sessions before heading into the resort for a night out. Getting taxis in Les gets was near impossible. There was a night shuttle that you could catch for 2 Euros, but that ended at 11:30pm, so we usually ended up walking 20 mins into town. Plus, as we never left the club till around 4/5am, we always ended up walking back too. I actually credit this walk for my lack of hangovers throughout the week. As despite going out every night and getting around 2 hours sleep every night, I never seemed to be too hung over. Thank you mountain air.
 



After 6 days of skiing, 6 nights out, around 12 hours sleep, lots of drunken food fights, several bruises and lots of drinking I arrived home on Saturday and slept for a solid 13 hours. It's now Tuesday and I'm still recovering. All in all, I had an awesome week skiing and am seriously suffering from the holiday blues. Never fear though, I'm on the countdown to my next holiday.. 24 days till Germany!

P.s apologies for the extremely poor quality photos.. my camera was dropped on numerous occasions.
 

Comments

  1. Love it! I've just returned from my very first ski holiday in Austria, and am struggling with those post-holiday blues. Am already planning a return ski trip, so am on the look-out for cheap (ish) places to go :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm already planning mine next trip too! How was Austria? I'm thinking of going there next year! Les Gets was pretty good value and great skiing! x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why I'd Love to Ski in Canada & Why You Should Start Planning a Trip There Now

The Best and Worst Countries to Eat as a Veggie

Top 5 Places I Want to Revisit