Heidelberg: Planning my Trip

Hallo Wunderbare Menschen!
 
One of my besties has just moved to Heidelberg in Germany and I'm super excited to go and visit her. As soon as her one way ticket and job were confirmed I booked my flights for a trip over the Easter bank holiday weekend. I love Germany, it's up there with my favourite European countries and I can't wait to explore a new area.

Heidelberg
 
The top attraction in Heidelberg (according to my thorough and intensive research) is the castle. Heidelberg is a pretty old city that managed to avoid any serious damage during the war, so has retained many of it's historical features. When I asked one of my German friends for some tips on what to do there, she kindly pointed out to me, "it's one of the only cities you guys didn't completely destroy in the war." My reply of "you are welcome" didn't go down to well. War banter aside, I love a bit of history so checking out the castle and other traditional sites will be awesome.

There are several old market squares in the city, and the main square is full of cafes, restaurants and shops. I'll be heading here for a bite to eat or a drink to spend a good amount of time people watching. The main square also has a church, where you can pay to go to the top of the tower. I love a good view, so this might also be an option while I'm in the area. Another striking feature in Heidelberg is the old bridge that spans the river. It will be nice to go for a stroll (fingers crossed the weather is going to be nice) along the bridge for an alternative view of the city.

I'm hoping my friend has scouted out some good bars and clubs by the time we arrive. I'm not the biggest fan of beer, I'm slowly attempting to force myself to like it, but I'd like to sample a few of the local beers while I'm there. If not, I'll just have to fall back to the old faithful, vino. From my research, there's a street called 'Untere Strasse' that is know for it's night life and student pubs, so it would be nice to head there on one of the evenings.

Like the majority of Europe, Germany isn't the best place for vegetarians, sob. However, I've made it my personal mission to find some good veggie food while I'm in Heidelberg. My friend has already found a schnitzel place, that's open till 5am and serves a vegetarian schnitzel. So I'll definitely be stumbling there for some drunk food at some point. While Germany is more famous for it's meaty sausages, it's apparently not impossible to find a German vegetarian option. They have a cracking selection of cheese and do a good selection of soups and salads. so hopefully I won't struggle too much!

The countdown is on: 18 days to go!

Comments

  1. Heidelberg is on my bucket list for Germany, which is possibly my favorite European country. Margo from TheOverseasEscape.com has lived in Heidelberg for about a year now and may have some good tips for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katrina! I'll check out her blog! I can't wait for Heidelberg, I love Germany :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why I'd Love to Ski in Canada & Why You Should Start Planning a Trip There Now

The Best and Worst Countries to Eat as a Veggie

Top 5 Places I Want to Revisit