The Downsides to Living in London

Hello Wonderful People!

I bloody love London. Moving here was possibly the best decision I've made (bar travelling, OBVS). There's just so much to love about this city, especially if (like me) you're constantly looking for something new and exciting to do or explore. Before living in London I definitely had an idealised view of life in the capital. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't completely unrealistic. I didn't expect to merrily prance around the tube every morning, singing with joy about how much I loved my commute. And I really didn't expect to be living in the lap of luxury in a penthouse apartment overlooking the Thames. However, a little part of me really did think I'd enjoy my commute, LOLZ. After all, it would be such a novelty and really cool yeah? I also thought that London rent prices couldn't possibly be as bad as everyone said. Surely no one would voluntarily pay £750 a month for one small bedroom in a grotty flat? However, after 5 months the honeymoon period is starting to wear off and I'm beginning to realise there are a few things about London life that aren't that great. Don't get me wrong though, I absolutely love living in London and I don't think there's a better place to be when you're in your twenties. However, it's safe to say that everything in London isn't golden.


Commuter Hell - Getting the tube/ bus/ train to work in London is the most soul sucking, depressing, hellish part of living in London. Being crammed onto a sweaty, stinking carriage, with hundreds of other people is not the ideal way to start the working day. And that's after you've managed to get through the human crush on the platform. The daily commute in London is an 'every man for himself' kind of routine and if you don't follow the unwritten rules then you may not survive. Do not walk slowly, let people off the train first, DO NOT obstruct the closing doors, move down the carriage, have your Oyster card ready, STAND ON THE RIGHT and most importantly do not talk. In fact do not even look at, or acknowledge, any other commuters. Silence is golden and interaction forbidden.

Tourist Hell - I'm all for tourism, don't get me wrong. I love a good photo opportunity as much as the rest of us. BUT I do not appreciate people standing in my way when I'm trying to nip out for my lunch break. I do not appreciate being stuck in a throng of people who are leisurely wandering to the tube. And I sure as hell don't appreciate people having fun while I'm on my way to or from work. Whoopee, you're on holiday, no I will not take your picture, I'm clearly trying to get home people (sorry not sorry). Pretty much everywhere in central is a tourist hotspot, however my office is situated smack bang in the middle of Trafalgar Square, Covent Garden and Leicester Square. I don't think I could find a more touristy area if I tried. As a result I spend the majority on my lunch break trying to battle through the crowds in an attempt to get some fresh air and a stretch my legs. Crowds and tourists now make me slightly angry, and I find myself tutting under my breath (like a true Brit) and staring at the back of peoples heads, willing them to walk quicker than a dying snail. RAGE.

Money Hell - When I add up what I pay for rent, bills, transport and food every month it comes to over half of my monthly salary, which is a pretty depressing fact. Going out for a few drinks always ends up to be a pricey affair, as you'll struggle to buy a drink for under a £5 and it's not easy finding a nice, but reasonably priced place to eat. The price of everything in London is so ridiculous that it means it's pretty much impossible to save any money, so the idea of being able to actually buy a property goes straight out the window. YAY for no financial future and YAY for always being a renter. Does the thought of actually skipping after work drinks ever cross my mind? Hell no, how else am I going to get through all 80 cocktails on the Be At One menu? Saving is for losers anyway. Well that's what I'm trying to kid myself. SOB.


Despite all of this, whenever someone asks me 'why do you live in London, haven't you ever considered moving home?' I stare at them in bewilderment, not quite being able to comprehend what they've just asked. Hell bloody no I don't want to move home; London is great, crowds, tubes and debt included!

Comments

  1. Born and raised Londoner here who completely agrees with everything you said. London is mad as a box of frogs and more expensive than I even dare think about but we love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some interestng viewpoints. Like any place if you know where to find it any city can be reasonably cheap. I love London but for any traveller the downside has to be the extortionate rental costs. Must put off so many people? Which is a great shame as London and The UK for that matter have so much to offer. Great post.

    http://www.gavindarvell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving reading through your blog, you have definitely travelled far and wide!

    Nikki

    http://pourquoiviajartheworld.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why I'd Love to Ski in Canada & Why You Should Start Planning a Trip There Now

The Best and Worst Countries to Eat as a Veggie

Top 5 Places I Want to Revisit