Krakow

Witam Wspaniali Ludzie

I've just got back from a crazy weekend in Poland, and I'm seriously suffering from the post-holiday blues. I've been to Krakow before, around 8 years ago, so was really looking forward to going back as I loved it the last time. We had lots planned for the weekend, mainly sight-seeing in the day and going out at night; the perfect city break combination.

 
After an early flight and taxi from the airport to our hostel, we dumped our bags and headed to the main square for some food. The main square in the old town is extremely impressive, with a central market building and imposing church in one corner. We ate outside (brave decision as it was freezing) but we were given blankets and there were outdoor heaters. Plus I had a glass of warm wine with raspberries, so I was nice and toastie. After our meal, we headed to the underground museum, located directly under the market square. Personally, I didn't rate the museum that much. Soz. It was mainly about the history of Krakow, and I didn't find anything particularly interesting, but it was only a couple of quid, so worth a visit if you're looking for something do to.

One of the best things about my trip to Krakow had to be the hostel. We stayed at Greg and Toms Party Hostel (check it out here) and it was possibly the best hostel I've ever stayed in. There are 3 of these hostels across the city, all offering a different vibe. We went to one of the others for lunch one day and it also seemed really cool and in a good location. However, I'd have to recommend staying where we did, as it was just so good! The location was pretty perfect, a 5 minute walk from the main square and there was a supermarket and cash point just round the corner. The dorms and hostel in general were clean and tidy, which is a bonus considering it's a self-confessed party hostel. It was also a complete bargain. We paid £9 a night for a 6 bed dorm and you get free breakfast and dinner every day, plus unlimited free alcohol for 2 hours every evening. What the hell?! Amazing. There's also an organised pub crawl every night, or you can just head out on your own to explore. Sadly, I took slight advantage of the free vodka and didn't even make it out on the first night. Whoops. If you're after a hostel that's modern and clean, with an amazing atmosphere and cheap as chips, then this is the place to stay.

As I've been to Krakow before, I have already visited Auschwitz, which is located about an hour away from the city. Before I went this weekend I'd decided it was a place that I didn't particularly want to visit again. Don't get me wrong, I think everyone should go at some point in their lives, but it's not a place you'd want to revisit. However, I did end up going again and was glad that I did. I can't really put into words what it's like to visit Auschwitz. Surreal, harrowing, thought-provoking; these words don't do this horrific place justice, but it's an attempt. Going back again, at an older age definitely gave me a different perspective on the magnitude of what happened and how we should never let something like this happen again. Ever.



Along with nights out, sight-seeing and lots of snow, I loved my weekend in Krakow. Being back in a hostel made me miss travelling so much, and I'm already planning my next city break to get my travel-fix in the next few months!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I'd Love to Ski in Canada & Why You Should Start Planning a Trip There Now

The Best and Worst Countries to Eat as a Veggie

Top 5 Places I Want to Revisit