Throwback: Yachting in Croatia

Helo divni ljudi
One of my all time favourite family holidays was when we hired a yacht with some family friends and sailed around the coast of Croatia. Sadly, none of us were pro sailors so we also hired a local skipper for the week. This was fantastic as he knew all the best places to go, took us to some beautiful islands and managed to keep us all alive on our boating adventure. Living with 9 other people in a confined space was actually surprisingly bearable and living on the yacht gave me an amazing sense of freedom. As I'd never been to Croatia before, I didn't really know what to expect. However, the Croatian coast line was so stunning with beautiful islands and crystal clear water, I felt like I was in the Caribbean, not Europe.


Having the freedom to drop anchor wherever we wanted, explore the beautiful islands or just jump off the boat for a swim made this holiday so special. The most magical moment (and one of the top in my life) was when we were lucky enough to see wild dolphins and get in the water with them. We were happily sailing along when suddenly the skipper pointed to the side of the boat, where three dolphins had decided to pop up. The dolphins then proceeded to swim and jump alongside and in front of the boat as we were going along; it was amazing. We eventually jumped in the water with them, and while they didn't come to close, they were still happily playing and jumping near by. It's a moment I will never forget.


We stopped off in a different port every night, which meant we got to explore large parts of the Croatian coast and islands. We stopped in some of the most quaint, idyllic little fishing villages, bustling ports and deserted islands. The freedom of sailing was amazing, and I loved knowing we would be exploring somewhere new every day. Being able to just jump off the boat into the crystal blue sea was pretty cool too; I felt like I was in a movie.
I haven't been back to Croatia since this brilliant holiday, but it is definitely on my travel hit list of places I'd like to return to. I'd love to explore these places again on my own, or with friends as it's such a beautiful country, and a real hidden European gem.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I'd Love to Ski in Canada & Why You Should Start Planning a Trip There Now

The Best and Worst Countries to Eat as a Veggie

Top 5 Places I Want to Revisit