The Devestations of Christchurch

Hello Wonderful People!
 
Our second stop in the South Island was Christchurch. We stayed in our campervan on the drive of our friend's uncle's house, so we had the use of hot showers, a nice toilet and kitchen. I obviously knew that Christchurch was hit by an earthquake in 2011 and I'd met several Kiwis on my travels who had told me about the devastation. Nothing could really have prepared me for what the city actually looked like though. I was completely dumbfounded that a city in such a developed country could be virtually demolished by a natural disaster and still not have some level of rebuilding over 2 years later.

 
 

The only comparison I could possibly associate the city centre to would be a war zone. Now, I have never actually been to a war zone (obvs) so this comparison is merely based on my expectations, but it really is the only judgement I can make that justifies what I saw. Firstly, the whole place was pretty much deserted, which added a forlorn atmosphere to the already depressing scenery. It was bizzare walking through an abandoned city centre, completely surrounded by empty buildings that were either half crumbling or boarded up. Many buildings looked like construction sites as they were either fenced off or half demolished. The roads were empty and many had huge cracks running through the concrete. The cathedral, which must have been pretty impressive pre earthquake, was half caved in and surrounded by fencing; it was a thoroughly depressing site to behold. As I walked around the city, I felt as if I was exploring a film set, as the whole place felt surreal. I just couldn't comprehend how an earthquake could cause so much damage and how little progress had been made since the disaster. It was a completely bizarre experience and I real empathized with the residents of Christchurch. It much be truly devastating to see a city you know and love to be destroyed an become a tiny shadow of what it once was.
 



















 
 
I hope these pictures convey some of my experience in Christchurch; the weather definitely reflected the sombre atmosphere in a true emulation of pathetic fallacy. I'd loved to return to Christchurch in the future in the hope of seeing this city rebuilt to its former glory.
 
S'laters people!
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I'd Love to Ski in Canada & Why You Should Start Planning a Trip There Now

The Best and Worst Countries to Eat as a Veggie

Top 5 Places I Want to Revisit