Skydiving at Lake Taupo

Hello Wonderful People!
 
 
Many would argue that New Zealand is the adrenaline capital of the world; so it only felt right to show my wild side and do a skydive in this beautiful country. Having already done a bungee jump back home in England, jumping out of a plane was the next thing on my adrenaline hit list. And what better location to chose than the stunning Lake Taupo in New Zealand's north island.

Skydive


 
We had spent a couple of days in Lake Taupo and 3 of us had decided that this is where we wanted to do our skydive. So on our final day we headed off to the airfield on the outskirts of town and luckily enough the weather was perfect. Sadly, we had been out the night before and I was seriously suffering with a hangover. I wasn't going to let a little bit of a sicky stomach put me off though. I handed over my £125 (bargain, if you ask me) and got suited and booted in a rather attractive red jumpsuit. We watched a short training video, had a quick talk from one of the professionals and then we were buddied up with our professional. Just before we got on the plane, I had to rush to the loo for a quick hangover vom sesh and was ready and raring to go.
 
Skydive


Skydive
 
 
The plane was possibly the smallest, ricketiest thing I have ever encountered and I have no idea how it actually managed to stay in the air. As we took off my nerves really kicked in and any thoughts of hangover were soon forgotten. As we slowly ascended higher and higher it hit me that there was only one way down; to jump, and I would be the first to go. We soon hit 12,000ft and the door of the plane was opened. My stomach did a back flip as I sat with my legs dangling out of the plane, staring at the earth far, far below. Before I knew it, the plane and sky were above me; we had left the plane and were falling backwards. The instructor soon flipped us back round and I was slapped in the face by a freezing wind that made my eyes water. It was at this point that I realised I was hurtling towards the ground and should take in the amazing views around me and really appreciate the experience. I could see the clear blue water of Lake Taupo and the striking mountains in the distance (the location of Mount Doom for you LOTR fans). I don't think there is a better place in the world to do a skydive, the view were absolutely stunning.
 
The plane

Skydiving

Skydive

Skydive
 
 
The parachute was pulled after 45 seconds of free fall and my instructor let me take control for a while. By pulling down on either your right or left hand you turned the parachute in the corresponding direction. Slowly gliding back to earth was a great way to take in the adrenaline rush of the free fall and carry on appreciating the views around me. I was also pretty relieved that the parachute actually worked and I wasn't splatted all over the floor. We soon landed to earth with a bump, and I kept blabbering to my instructor about how amazing it was and how he had the best job in the whole world. I then had to quickly run to the loo to vom again. Apparently a skydive isn't a great hangover cure; but it is hands down the most exciting thing I have ever done!
 
S'laters people!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I'd Love to Ski in Canada & Why You Should Start Planning a Trip There Now

The Best and Worst Countries to Eat as a Veggie

Top 5 Places I Want to Revisit