A Cheeky Trip to Budapest

Szia Csodálatos Emberek
 
My boyfriend and I decided to take a trip away rather than get each other Christmas presents, and our chosen destination was Budapest. I'd heard great things about the city and it also seemed to be a really cheap destination to visit. We were initially going to go to somewhere in the UK, with Edinburgh being our top choice. However, after finding some cheap flights (£60 return) to Budapest with Ryanair it seemed like a no brainer to head to Hungary. I was shocked to discover how cheap the accommodation was, we stayed in a four star apartment for 2 nights, right in the centre for just under £30 each! Quite the bargain if I do say so myself (check out our accommodation here)! The location was perfect, we were within walking distance of so many bars, cafes and restaurants as well as the main metro station. The whole trip cost me £190, including transport, accommodation and spending money; not too shabby for thoroughly a European city break!

Plane view



Passport


It's safe to say the weekend consisted of a lot of eating, drinking and walking! A friend had previously visited Budapest on an inter-railing trip and recommended a few things to see and do. The top of her list was a bar called Szimpla Kert, which is apparently renowned in both Budapest and throughout the world as a must see bar! Szimpla is known as a ruined bar, of which there are several in Budapest. They are all located in the ruins of old buildings that were party destroyed or abandoned during the revolution. Szimpla resides in an old apartment block and is possibly the coolest and most bizarre bar I've eve been in. Eclectic and quirky are probably the words I'd chose to describe the place, but they don't totally encompass the atmosphere and interior of the wondrous place that is Szimpla Kert. As you walk in you really feel like you're entering a derelict warehouse, as plastic sheeting hangs from the door frames acting as a makeshift door. However, once you're in you are immediately confronted with a scene of magical mayhem. Graffiti covers every inch of the walls and vintage telephones adorn the surfaces.  Fairy lights, disco balls and plants hang from the ceiling and cracked mirrors litter the walls. Old sofas, rickety wooden chairs and an assortment of bar stools clutter the floor (which is uneven concrete if you were wondering), along with differing types and sizes of tables. You can even (if you're lucky) bag  seat in two beat up old cars, which have been painted and transformed into seating areas. There are several staircase that lead to the upper floor and as you explore the maze of rooms you're bound to find a secret hidey hole where you can take a seat and soak up the atmosphere. This eclectic bar oozes charm and has a laid back vibe that sucks you in making you want to stay for hours. For anyone visiting Budapest, visiting Szimpla is a must, I can guarantee you won't be disappointed as it's a pretty special and unique place. Take me back?

One of the must do touristy things in Budapest has to be going to one of the traditional baths. We chose the Szechenyi Baths as a friend had recommended them and they had heated outdoor pools, which we really wanted to experience. We took the metro to the north of the city and the station is right opposite the baths, so they were extremely easy to get to. The entrance price was around the £12 mark and it gave us access to all of the pool for the whole day. We relaxed in two of the heated indoor pools first, before braving the freezing temperatures outside. After a quick dash down the steps and across the concrete the 37 degree water was a welcome relief! While there were lots of tourists at the baths there were also a fair few local Hungarians. This made me feel like I was actually taking part in a genuine Hungarian activity, rather than something merely created to attract the tourists. There were a group of elderly Hungarian gentleman sat in the outdoor pool playing a game of chess, which added a real sense of authenticity to the whole experience. I loved it.

While we were out and about exploring the streets of Budapest, we visited two of the most gorgeous cafes for a coffee and hot chocolate break. One of the cafes , Gerbeaud Cukraszda, was recommended in a guide book and did not disappoint. I had the most amazingly thick hot chocolate and a salted caramel and raspberry macaroon, both of which were to die for! The interior of the café was beautiful, with high vaulted ceilings and grand chandeliers that were just beautiful. The second café we discovered by chance, as we decided to pop in on the way back from a museum to shelter from the cold. This place was such a find and definitely my favourite of the two. It was so elegant and had a real air of sophistication; it really felt like you'd been transported back in time. The drinks were also amazing and I could have happily stayed there all day soaking up the atmosphere and pretending I was an upper class gal (phaa, I wish).

Coffee Shop

Coffee Shop

Coffee Shop


There were only two things that I didn't love about Budapest; the food and The House of Terror Museum. I'm being very picky here with these two points and neither of them impacted upon my trip - but I like to add a bit of balance and I'll earmark these as room for improvement. As a vegetarian Hungary wasn't the best place to sample local delicacies, as they all contained meat. I love to try the local food when I visit somewhere new, however this proved very difficult and I ended up eating Italian dishes for most of my meals. But that's what you get for being veggie, my bad (at least I'm saving the animals, woo go me).  My other holiday let down was The House of Terror Museum that was recommended as a must see and was actually a pile of pants. I felt the museum just didn't flow or have a solid identity. It felt as if it was trying to be both a museum and a memorial to those who died during the war and occupation. We opted to not get any headphones, as the lady at the desk said there would be English translations in each room. These translations were actually mini essays printed out on sheets of A4 and didn't really explain what the exhibits in the rooms were showing. So if you do decide to go to this museum, I would recommend investing in the headphones as they may make the whole experience more understandable.

This trip was fantastic in many ways, not only was it an absolute bargain, the city was also lovely and there was so much to see and do. From coffee shops, to quirky bars; relaxing baths to historical monuments, Budapest has something for everyone. I'd have loved to have stayed for a few days longer and definitely plan on returing. Budapest, it was an absolute pleasure.

Búcsú!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I'd Love to Ski in Canada & Why You Should Start Planning a Trip There Now

The Best and Worst Countries to Eat as a Veggie

Top 5 Places I Want to Revisit