Jungle Trek (from hell)

สวัสดีคนที่ยอดเยี่ยม

This trek was one of those experiences you look back on with fond memories and an 'I'm glad I did it' attitude. Sadly, when I was actually trekking for 6 hours a day, in 35 degree heat up a jungle mountain  I wasn't thinking about the nice memories I was creating. Instead, I was cursing my grossly unfit self for signing up to such a stupid activity, and secretly plotting ways I could maybe break a leg and go home. Seriously, that thought crossed my mind more that once.

Jungle Trek


It's safe to say I am not fit or active in the slightest, and the very thought of going for a run brings me out in a cold sweat. Therefore, if I'd known what this trek would have entailed, there is no way in this life time I would have willingly gone along. However, I was somehow tricked into going on a leisurely stroll through the Thai countryside to stay with the traditional Hill Tribes. It sounded cracking. So on the morning of  trek day one, I dressed in some nice shorts, vest top and converse (all of which proved to be hideously inappropriate for the trek of doom ahead) and was introduced to my fellow band of happy campers.

 

Jungle Trek


The initial part of the trek wasn't too bad, bar the heat and lack of shade, as it was mainly walking through flat farm land. Sadly, this wasn't to last and we began our slow accent up the mountain and into the jungle. I can honestly say I did not know it was possible to become a human waterfall, but I am actual living proof that they exist. Trekking up a mountain in the ridiculous heat and humidity had turned me into a drippy, sweaty mess. It was not a pleasant sight, that's for sure. Thankfully we soon stopped for lunch and a quick swim (praise the Lord) at a little waterfall. Lunch was sticky rice wrapped in a banana leaf and all I can remember is that it was amazing!

The rest of the day has pretty much been blanked out by my brain and stored in the 'trauma' section of my psyche, never to be looked upon again. Ha, I joke, I joke... But the remainder of the day was pretty similar. Our guide, Jay Jay, took us up a well worn path through the jungle and we stopped once more at another waterfall for a swim. Towards the end of the day the heavens opened and we were well and truly drenched by the most intense downpour I've ever seen. I mean seriously, I'm British and I've never seen rain like it! We ran for shelter under a makeshift hut (not that it mattered as I was already soaking thanks to my new found talent for constant perspiration) and stayed there until the rain subsided; luckily we were only a 10 minute walk from where we were spending the night.

Our accommodation was basic to say the least, but it was a truly amazing experience! We stayed with a small Hill Tribe family, in small huts, and they provided us with a freshly cooked, traditional Thai meal. The huts were all hand made out of bamboo and had banana leaf roofs and were dotted around a small patch of hillside next to a river. The views were stunning and the feeling of isolation was incredible, as we really were miles from civilisation.

Jungle Trek

Jungle Trek

Jungle Trek

Jungle Trek


Unfortunately trek day two dawned all too quickly and after a nice brekkie, we were off again into the jungle and up the mountain. Around 30 minutes into the walk, I'd nearly had 4 heart attacks and one of the boys we were with kindly offered to carry my bag (yay for being a pathetic female; feminism, I apologise). This actually made a huge difference as I now didn't have to stop every 6.3 minutes to catch my breath or check I was actually still alive. Day two was pretty similar to the previous day as it involved a lot of trekking, surprisingly. We stopped for lunch in a small hillside village and everyone promptly demolished the noodle soup and fell asleep. In my opinion the nap didn't last long enough and we were soon on our way, trek trek trekking off up the mountain! As I was a backpack lighter I actually began to enjoy myself and appreciate the amazing views of the untouched Thai landscapes.

On the second night we stayed in similar accommodation to night one, only these huts had the added bonus of a waterfall! Hence an at-one-with-nature shower in the river! We spent the rest of the evening chilling by the river, enjoying the complete isolation away from technology and modern home comforts! After an uncomfortable nights sleep, we began our final leg of the trek, back down the mountain to civilisation! And I won't lie, I was thoroughly looking forward to a proper shower, bed and sit down!

Noodle Soup

Jungle waterfalls

Jungle waterfalls


Despite calling this the Trek from Hell, it was actually one of the most amazing and memorable experiences I had while travelling. The only reason I didn't enjoy it was down to my own fitness levels, but other than that (it's so easy for me to say this now, ha) the trek was thoroughly enjoyable! I don't think I will ever be so isolated ever again, and the feeling of freedom this gives you is indescribable. There were no toilets, showers, electricity or beds where we stayed, but it gave me an amazing insight into the lives of the Thai hill tribes. If you ever go to Thailand, please go on one of the guided treks! And remember, I am possibly one of the least fit people ever, so don't be put off by my evident struggle, everyone else in my group managed it easily, I'm just a fool :)

ลาก่อนสำหรับตอนนี้

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its really informative and knowledgeable article. Thank you for such a nice post…
    Hmachal tour packages From Bangalore,Chennai,Hyderabad,Delhi

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why I'd Love to Ski in Canada & Why You Should Start Planning a Trip There Now

The Best and Worst Countries to Eat as a Veggie

Top 5 Places I Want to Revisit